Thursday 17 May 2007

Piering Into The Mind

We were just pulling up to Masthouse Terrace Pier and I was thinking about my mum's visit last weekend. I was feeling guilty because she's just had a heart operation and I got the boat times wrong which meant we had to disembark the boat early and walk back to Greenwich from Masthouse.

I was utterly flabbergasted to find that the boat docked at Masthouse was, in fact, called Norma (like my mum).

Jung would have called this Synchronicity. His notion of synchronicity is "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events". Which, in a nutshell, means that coincidence is meaningful. All very well, but what does it mean?

Interpreations of the mum-boat coincidence welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jung smoked too many drugs - he was well into pink opium and all sorts, and so when he really meant to say things like 'oooh - doesn't that feel funny', he'd say stuff like 'I Ching makes all the probabilities of the world apparent to the beholder of fates'. These days he'd be at the bottom of an emptied pool, sniffing at ringpulls and barking at the wind. So don't let synchronicity get to you. ALL THERE IS, IS COINCIDENCE. THE ONLY TRUE COINCIDENCE IS WHEN THERE ISN'T A COINCIDENCE. "I'M COINCIDENTALISED HOMIE." etc

Anonymous said...

The boat wasn't sinking and neither was your mum - so there's synchronicity.