Tuesday 8 May 2007

Event Horizon

I was excited this morning. I knew that the Gormley sculptures were on the horizon and I was eager to spot them from the boat.

I should've remembered the telescopic lens though! However my memory is terrible and I don't have one anyway.

The critics are talking about how the rooftop scultures represent Man's smallness in the face of the cosmos. I think this is wrong. To me they represent Man's responsibility in the face of the cosmos. They are awesome, immediate, apparent, poised, expectant. Man's future is on the horizon and we need to address it; which we typically don't do because we are both literally and metaphorically enclosed by the city itself. There is largely no horizon in a city, so Gormley has created one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brisbane too is serviced by a ferry system. The prefered commute position is up the front leaning into the wind. The joy of ferry travel allows men to become jack russells. Brisbane is similar to London. The city is split in two by a winding brown river. The brisbane river however is full of Bull sharks.

http://www.brisbaneferries.com.au/

Anonymous said...

the thames is full of eels. cockled eels. in jelly. pickled, cockled eels. in batter. mit chips. mmm.

i think that's what makes londin.

mr love pants