Friday 29 June 2007

Unexpected Pleasure

The other great part of taking the boat to work is the walk from the pier to my office. It's a ten minute walk that takes me right through the centre of London (Covent Garden, China Town, Soho). This morning I came across this picture unexpectedly positioned opposite The Shaston Arms (just off Carnaby Street).

I stood there and took in the Rubens masterpiece for a good quarter of an hour before continuing on my way. The painting tells the story of Samson being betrayed to the Philistines by the prostitute Delilah. The picture is a freeze frame in the story; of the precise moment when Samson, exhausted from a night of passion, has his hair cut off.

Isn't pleasure so much better when it comes unexpectedly. Ironic as Samson's pleasure ended in unexpected disaster. There's a moral to this story. Only ever expect disaster; then pleasure will be more pleasurable and disaster more avoidable.

No comments: